Monday, September 5, 2011

Coolinia subplana from the Osgood Shale

While examining some pieces of the Waldron Osgood Shale that I brought back from Indiana I found a couple of specimens of Fardenia Coolinia subplana. It is within the class Strophomenata (straight hinge line) and order Orthotetida.




I identified these based on this link to the Indiana State Museum's online collection.
I've since had to change my ID on this specimen as I realised that I collected it from the Osgood Shale and not the Waldron Shale. As such, Coolinia is the more likely genus. I based this on the paper "Caradocian-Gedinnian echinoderm associations of Central and Eastern North America" Frest, Brett and Witzke published in the compendium "Paleocommunities - a case study from the Silurian and Lower Devonian", book 2, page 729. The Osgood shale is Silurian in age (Telychian to Sheinwoodian stage).


No comments:

Post a Comment