Monday, May 30, 2016

A silicified specimen of Protodouvillina inaequistriata from the Centerfield formation of New York

I've blogged before about Protodouvillina inaequistriata specimens from the Centerfield member of the Ludlowville formation in New York in a prior post. Today I'm showing off a silicified specimen that I found in the dissolved remains of some limestone from the same locality. It is in great condition, has both valves and  an interesting color pattern. I think the pattern is related to how much of the original shell was actually replaced with quartz. The shell also has some very nice looking "Beekite" rings

Pedicle valve
Anterior
Brachial valve
Posterior
Profile

As I mentioned above, this specimen has been replaced with quartz and I dissolved it from a limestone block using dilute Hydrochloric Acid. It comes from the Centerfield member of the Ludlowville formation (Devonian, Givetian stage) near East Bethany, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment