Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Crinoid roots and Calymene Trilobites from the Waldron formation

I've been showing off alot of fossils that I purchased recently and this is one of my favorites. It's a pair of Crinoid holdfasts or "roots" which has a pair of Calymene trilobites huddled underneath. It comes from the Waldron shale on Indiana which is Silurian (Sheinwoodian to Homerian stage) in age.

Here you can see the two holdfasts looking like stumps in a freshly cut forest.


Underneath the larger of the two holdfasts are the Trilobites.


They are both complete and fully articulated



This specimen was found by Mark Palatas from whom I purchased it.  I was fortunate enough to see some of his collection and his prepping work station when I visited his home a few months ago. This specimen, however, was not prepped by Mark but by one of his friends.

1 comment:

  1. MASTER PIECE!!!!!
    Congratulationsto the people who found and prepared it!!!!!!GREAT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete