Thursday, July 7, 2011

Haugia variabilis Ammonite & Plagiostoma giganteum Pelecypod

These next couple of pieces come into my collection courtesy of my friend Gery over in France. The first piece is an exquisite Haugia variabilis Ammonite and it has a partial Plagiostoma giganteum Pelecypod on the back.


The suture lines are very nicely preserved.

Here is the partial Plagiostoma giganteum

A few months later he sends me another Plagiostoma giganteum but this one is a whole valve!

There is even another valve underneath the first one.

I like the pattern on the shell of what are, I'm guessing, cracks in the original nacre (or mother of pearl) that once lined the interior of the shell.

Looks like these pelecypods prefer to have Haugia variabilis around as there is a partial specimen buried under the shell. It's been cut by a saw so no hope of recovering a whole specimen.


Both specimens are from the Jurassic aged (Toarcian) rocks near Airvault, France. My Thanks to Gery for sending me such a great fossils!

No comments:

Post a Comment