Friday, February 1, 2013

Random Fossil Post

I have lots of fossils from my younger collecting days that have no label or sparse information. Some are among my favorites but with little info they get relegated to Random Fossil Posts.

Two such samples are featured today with the first being this pair of slabs cut from, presumably, a stromatolite. Based on the preservation I'd say they are likely from the Wamsutter area of Wyoming on the Green River formation



Next up is this Gryphaea sp. shell. It is one of my favorites because it's in perfect condition, clean and is preserved with a light green calcite. My best guess is that it comes from England or France and is Jurassic in age. A search of Google for "Gryphaea" yields several examples labelled Gryphaea arcuata from the Lias (Lower Jurassic) of England.






No comments:

Post a Comment