Monday, July 23, 2012

Eocene agatized pine cone from Morocco

Something that I'm seeing a lot of on E-bay lately are agatized pine cones from the Eocene. It's entirely likely they are from the same formation as the gastropods in my last post. I bought this one from the same dealer that I bought the Timor echinoderms from. There is no available information that I can find online that references a locality other than "Western Sahara Desert" nor any of the geology of the rocks it's found in.

This specimen has been lightly polished and you can see some of the individual scales that covered the seeds. I am interpreting the hole that is visible as where a seed was once located. Many examples that I've seen online and in person have this same feature.


This is the top of the cone where it would have attached to a branch.


No comments:

Post a Comment