Monday, June 29, 2015

Trematospira multistriata brachiopod from the Kalkberg formation of New York

I'm going to kick off a series of posts that all feature fossils from the Kalkberg formation of New York with this specimen of Trematospira multistriata. It is a rounded, rectangular shaped shell with both valves showing some convexity. The shell is wider than long. Multiple thick costae decorate the surface of the shell and there is a wide sulcus that is best expressed on the pedicle valve. I base my ID on James Hall's "Paleontology of New York", Vol 3, Pt. 1, pg 209, & Pt 2, pl 28a, fig 5a-f

Brachial valve
Anterior
Pedicle valve
Posterior
Profile


The Kalkberg formation is lower Devonian in age (Lockhovian to Pragian stage). I collected this specimen from a roadcut near Shoharie, NY.

The only other Trematospira species I have posted about is Trematospira camara from the Silurian aged (Shienwoodian stage) Irondequoit limestone near Lockport, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment