Monday, March 24, 2014

Spinocyrtia ostiolata brachiopod from Germany

From the farm fields around Gondelsheim, Germany come these Spinocyrtia ostiolata brachiopods. The fossils come from the Giesdorf mbr. of the Junkerberg Formation and are turned up as the farmers till their fields.

Specimen #1 Brachial valve
Anterior
Pedicle valve
Posterior
Profile

Specimen #2 Brachial valve
Anterior
Pedicle valve
Posterior
Profile


I don't have any specimens of Spinocyrtia from my collections to compare to these fossils. This is due partly to me learning how to tell them apart from similarly shaped Spirferida like Mediospifier. I do have a specimen from Spain that I have posted about previously, although it looks completely different from these German specimens.

Thanks to Nils for the specimens.

No comments:

Post a Comment