Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Lingula fossils from the Moscow formation

I'm back from my hiatus and am going through material that I've found in the last few years. With the new set up in the attic it is easier for me to go through what I've collected and sort what I've found.  I have at least a months worth of postings in the queue right now and will try to keep a regular schedule. Thank you for your patience.

On a trip I made this spring I was able to meet up with my friend Mikey from the Fossil Forum. He took me to a creek that he collects at to show me some of his stomping grounds. Among the finds we made was this Lingula sp. brachiopod.



It's a good 3cm in length and you can see the original shell material has been preserved (or at least replaced) well so that you can see growth lines and color variations. It also has both valves present although one is overlapping the other. I would interpret that to indicate the animal had died and the shell was disturbed by the water currents. Muscles that helped keep the shell closed had decayed and so the two valves were able to rotate slightly before being reburied. This specimen was found in Livingston County, NY in the Moscow formation which is Devonian (Givetian stage) in age.

No comments:

Post a Comment