Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lycophoria sp. brachiopod from St. Petersburg, Russia

Here are a couple of specimens of the brachiopod Lycophoria from the St. Petersburg region of Russia.

Specimen #1 is Lycophoria globosa from the Aseri stage (Darriwillian stage of the ICS) and was found in the Koporie Quarry.

Brachial valve
Anterior
Pedicle valve
Posterior

Profile

Specimen #2 is Lycophoria nucella from the Kunda stage (Darriwillian stage of the ICS) and was found in the Voybokalo quarry.

Brachial valve
Anterior
Pedicle valve
Posterior
Profile

I can't tell the difference between the two species myself so I am relying on the original sources from which I procured the specimens. From my research I found that the Kunda stage underlies the Aseri stage but I don't have any formation info.

No comments:

Post a Comment