Friday, September 21, 2012

Nucleocrinus elegans from the Widder formation

This past July I was up collecting at Hungry Hollow near Arkona, Canada and ran into a couple of fellow fossil collectors. We chatted for a bit and one of them gave me the fossil below, a Nucleocrinus elegans.

Oral surface (top)

Basal surface (where the stem attached)

Side views



I think he felt bad for me as I complained that I hadn't found many blastoids at the site (despite their relative local abundance). I gave him some pieces of North Evans Limestone that are loaded with micro fossil fish and conodont teeth as a thank you. Sadly I didn't write their names down or I could give proper credit.

This is my third blastoid species from the Hungry Hollow member of the Widder formation (Devonian, Givetian stage) after Hyperoblastus reimanni and Heteroschisma canadensis.

2 comments:

  1. My guess is John and Mike Topor who were the two guys you ran into at Arkona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I think it was a gentleman named Darell and his buddy.

    ReplyDelete