Sunday, November 20, 2011

Enterolasma calculum from Lockport, NY

The Irondequoit limestone Rochester Shale fauna, that I've found, is dominated by Bryozoans and debris from Crinoids with some Brachiopods and Trilobites thrown in for good measure. I've only found two coral species so far with one being the rugose coral Enterolasma calculum. It's a small coral with linear striations running the length of the exterior.



This specimen has 22-23 septae (the radial lines inside the calice or cup).

This specimen shows a slight curvature to near the base of the corallite. This is unusual as most specimens I have found are fairly straight.


There are also 22-23 septae in the calice of this specimen too which tells me they are the same species.


Both specimens were found in the middle Silurian (Sheinwoodian stage) aged rocks of the Irondequoit limestone Rochester Shale near Lockport, NY. I based my ID of the specimens on this page from New York Paleontolgy and this page from the Primitive Worlds website.

No comments:

Post a Comment