Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Callipleura from the Hungry Hollow member

Callipleura is a genus that I was introduced to last year during my first visit to Arkona. I was searching the debris of the Hungry Hollow member of the Widder formation and found a nearly perfect specimen. A couple of the people I was with were really impressed with it so I gave it to one of them since I figured I could find more. When I went back a few weeks ago I did find more albeit not as good as that first one.

This first specimen is in matrix but part of the left side is missing. I like the hint of Aulopora growing near the edge.


This specime has both valves but it's been crushed nearly flat.


This is a smaller specimen and as far as I can tell it's a single valve


Another single valve half imbedded within matrix. The valve looks like it's in good shape that if I were to dig it out of the rest of the rock it's in I could have a decent specimen.

2 comments:

  1. You have a very beautiful collection of Hungry Hollow fossils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I try to add to it each time I visit.

      Delete